General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

woobie

Textpad 6

Post by woobie »

Thank you for the new version!
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Yes, it was nice of them to release a new version, and for free too. So thanks, Helios.

Don't get too excited by the "TextPad 6" label though; this isn't much more than a version 5.5. There are some configuration improvements (requested since 2003), close buttons on tabs, slightly bigger whitespace characters (still not configurable), and some bug fixes.

But don't look for Unicode support, editable macros, code folding or any of the hundreds of other enhancements we've been asking for. I noticed this bug still hasn't been fixed either.
gan

Post by gan »

I agree, nice to see to see a new version, but i believe it's to little to late. Like you already said ak47wong it's more like a 5.5 or maybe 5.4.3. After such a long time they finally release 6.0 and this is all they managed to do with the new version. I find that extremely disappointing.

The long list of features requested for ages now are still missing. The list of new/enhanced features are pretty short. Unicode support is a basic feature that should be found in any text editor today just to mention one feature that been requested for ages. Version 6 should have been a new version with lots of new features to catch up with the other text editors and finally fulfil many of the top requests which 5.0 for sure didn't. So now we have to wait another 3 years for 7.0 just to be disappointed once again. I believe 5.0 were a disappointment for many TP users and i believe 6.0 is like the same thing all over again.

I don't mean to ruin the day, but version 6.0 just isn't good enough.....not even close. Helios should really speed up the development of Textpad or just give up, sell the product, make it open source and let someone else that is willing to continue the development in a higher pace bring new life back to TP.

It's a free upgrade so someone might say there is no reason to complain, but it's still sad to see such a great text editor not being developed anymore. Like many others i'm willing to pay for a upgrade if Helios start to listen to their customers and include features we requested for ages and release a real 6.0.....not just a refreshed 5.x with some bugfixes.

I just had to express my disappointment and have to say that version 6.0 will for sure not make me return to TP.

-gan
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

Just some speculation.
Maybe Textpad 6 is a Major upgrade, but behind the scenes, like a re-write to allow greater flexibility for updating and maintaining the product.

I see that it is states it is a "32 bit" version in the "about" so it may be that this is a beginning.

I think TP is fantastic and the are some basic features that could be added to make it the only product anyone should go for in the sector.

I wish they would ask for a fee to upgrade, but this may put unwanted pressure to become more commercial and deliver; there are benefits to not detailing upgrades to the product so that opposition vendors cannot compete.

I will not stop using TP unless not updated or supported at all anymore - it is great as it stands, and for me can only get better.
gan

Post by gan »

ACRobin wrote:Just some speculation.
Maybe Textpad 6 is a Major upgrade, but behind the scenes, like a re-write to allow greater flexibility for updating and maintaining the product.
Just like version 5? So when will we see some new long awaited features?
Either way i find that hard to believe and the release notes says nothing about any rewrite. If you look at the history of TP you see that the development of TP been standing almost still for ages. It's hard to believe TP will ever catch up unless we see it at this time......to many broken promises.
ACRobin wrote:I see that it is states it is a "32 bit" version in the "about" so it may be that this is a beginning.
TP been 32 bit for a long time already so this is nothing new.

-gan
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

We had this same conversation 5 years ago, e.g. here and here.
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

Glass half full - be positive, but do not wait and waste time; there are products that can do better in specific areas.
Quatrix

Post by Quatrix »

ak47wong wrote:Yes, it was nice of them to release a new version, and for free too. So thanks, Helios.
It's not "free". If you mean the upgrade is free to registered users who already paid, that's always been the case. And I agree; this is version 5.5.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Quatrix wrote:It's not "free". If you mean the upgrade is free to registered users who already paid,
Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.
Quatrix wrote:that's always been the case.
No, it hasn't. Version 3.x to 5 was a paid upgrade. Maintenance releases are free for registered users, but Helios can charge for major new releases if they choose to.
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

To me, TextPad 6.0 is not even TextPad 5.0. More like 4.9. In my experience, a full number upgrade is basically a rewrite of the entire app. This is still 4.x with a bunch of small-to-moderate new features and slicker docking. No major requested features have been implemented in a decade. At least it feels that way.

On the other hand it IS being maintained, and that is greatly appreciated.
BKDotCom

Post by BKDotCom »

Where might I find the windows or TextPad setting that sets the foreground & background colors of the status-bar and document-tab?

I'm using Windows 7, and it's a very annoying white on purple.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

BKDotCom wrote:Where might I find the windows or TextPad setting that sets the foreground & background colors of the status-bar and document-tab?
In version 6.1 you can change them under View > Appearance.
BKDotCom

Post by BKDotCom »

ak47wong wrote:
BKDotCom wrote:Where might I find the windows or TextPad setting that sets the foreground & background colors of the status-bar and document-tab?
In version 6.1 you can change them under View > Appearance.
Thank you very much.
Light skin for me!
Ryck

Re: Textpad 6

Post by Ryck »

woobie wrote:Thank you for the new version!
Still no macro editing feature - for the tenth straight year!

Sigh!
PeteTheBloke

Post by PeteTheBloke »

Well I love it!

There's something very British about the lack of communication, the take-it-or-leave-it attitude and the apparent sang-froid about money.

And all the while it's quietly backed up by a competence that has somehow made loyal customers out of us.

I predict code-folding by 2015.