LukasP

Is TextPad still being developed?

Post by LukasP »

Is TextPad still being developed?

No updates, no fixes for months, even if many features are requested, e.g.:

- auto-completion,
- collapsable blocks of code,
- editable macros,

Any "roadmap" of development? To see what's planned with what priority...

LukasP
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Like many long-term TextPad users I would also be interested in this but I don't think we have a right to future updates. In an environment where Helios won't make statements on future versions, users requiring a feature that is not currently provided are free to look elsewhere.
Last edited by SteveH on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

Steve,
I see in your tag you advertise running TP 5.3.0 on XP2; is there a reason your not using TP 5.4.2 on XP3?
None of my business really, but since you were discussing product updates, I wondered.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

nvj1662 wrote:Steve,
I see in your tag you advertise running TP 5.3.0 on XP2; is there a reason your not using TP 5.4.2 on XP3?
None of my business really, but since you were discussing product updates, I wondered.
Thanks for pointing that out. I've updated the signature to show where I am today. The reason that I'm still at 5.4 is that I don't use TextPad quite as often these days so it tends to fall a bit behind the update curve.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

The reason that I'm still at 5.4 is that I don't use TextPad quite as often these days
You clearly used to use TP a lot. I'm curious to know what you now use instead?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

On windows, to avoid promoting competitive products, it's probably best to just say that my requirements include Unicode.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The next release of TexPad is scheduled for March.
mlancaster

Post by mlancaster »

Hi bbadmin

I'm also curious about the level of ongoing development.

Textpad is something I use daily, am licensed for, and am willing to purchase a new licence for a significant new release.

Is there any plan for significant development? Or as has been the case for several years now, are you simply maintaining existing functionality and bug fixes.

Mark
tarraccas

Post by tarraccas »

So an update around March. Cool. I check back now and again. TP is still the editor I'm most comfortable with and I too would gladly renew my license if/when required.
~T
nsharris

Post by nsharris »

I too am a long-time licensed user and would be willing to purchase a new licence for a major new release.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

nsharris wrote:I too am a long-time licensed user and would be willing to purchase a new licence for a major new release.
What more needs to be said? Please add my voice to the above declarations.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I'm approaching my 13th year with TP. Started back in mid 1999 with 4x. I would have paid to upgrade to TP5 when it hit.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
egodoyc

Very Willing to buy a new licence too.

Post by egodoyc »

I'm also a long time licensed user. And I want to support the Vox Populi.

I am very willing to buy a license for a major new release.
gan

Post by gan »

bbadmin wrote:The next release of TexPad is scheduled for March.
I had to switch texteditor a long time ago for several reasons where Textpad where falling behind the rest. Since the development been standing still for a long time i have to admit that i never expected news like this even if i occasionally stop by this forum to see if there is some news. Since i once thought textpad where the only great texteditor for Windows i think this is great news and thank you for providing some information.

It would be great if there was some information what to expect from the new version though. Like is this a maintenance release only or a major release with lots of new features that been requested by many users for some time now? Any info what those features might be like unicode, editable macros, beeing able to handle large files, new gui, 64bit version and so on. I'm sure a lot of customers would really appreciate such info. If a new release is scheduled for March or later this year i'm sure the new features we can expect are already set.

Thanks in advance.

-gan
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

April and the new Financial Year approaching - fingers crossed for the "next release".

So many features that would make it even better than it is, but with respect to TPs fast and reliable current state.