Lockup when opening files on a server

Known problems and workarounds

Moderators: helios, bbadmin

bbadmin
Site Admin

Lockup when opening files on a server

Post by bbadmin »

Symptoms:
TextPad stops responding, while opening a file on a server running NetShield anti-virus scanner.

Workaround
From the Configure menu, choose Preferences, then select File. Check Ignore, under When files are modified by another process, then click OK.

Solution
Obtain the latest service pack from Network Associates.
kpriest

Post by kpriest »

I get this problem and I don't have NetShield. The work-around seems to work for me as well though. But I lose the ability to be warned if someone else is modifying a file I have open - not good.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Barry reported in the General forum that this also happens with Norton AV.
http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3798
In another thread, Jacob Carpenter reported that FileMon from sysinternals.com showed what McAfee was doing to his server.
http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2771

I can only repeat that TextPad is designed to work with Windows, not against AV software. Please check for product updates, and if they don't help, report such problems to the AV vendor.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Astorni

Post by Astorni »

I sometimes obtain a lockup when I open files from SAMBA shares of my Linux server.
helios

Post by helios »

We have many customers using TextPad in conjunction with Samba, without any problems. Please check that you are using a version of Samba that is compatible with the version of Windows that you have.

Stephen MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions.
gbradt

Post by gbradt »

I was having this problem with Norton/Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition. I was able to resolve it by changing the virus protection settings. Under "Configure"/"File System Realtime Protection", change the File Types from "All types" to "Selected". (Make sure the most dangerous file types - .exe, .xls, etc. - are in the list.) This turns off the realtime scan for the harmless documents I edit with TextPad, like .txt, .xml, etc.
Phillip Powers

Textpad stops responding when opening network file

Post by Phillip Powers »

Found a similar problem when opening a network file after installing Symantec AntiVirus. Was able to correct problem using posted fix "From the Configure menu, choose Preferences, then select File. Check Ignore, under When files are modified by another process, then click OK. " can also fix problem by disabling Symantec scan on network files.
mespee

Samba locks

Post by mespee »

Samba upgrade will fix

this is a samba issue not a Textpad issue as other apps will also lock files ie DreamWeaver, notepad ...
brucecollie

Q823980

Post by brucecollie »

This problem has started happening to me after installing the fix for the Blaster virus on Windows XP SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;823980
GerdVolberg

Post by GerdVolberg »

that's the solution. I had the problem with Novell Fileserver. Know it's running
FerFemNemBem

Post by FerFemNemBem »

Hi,

i have the same problem and solved it with the "ignore" setting.
But i more like the setting "ask me on changes".

Maybe this is because of Textpad tries to examine changes every 2 seconds but the file tooks longer to load from the server than 2 seconds and the file is written every second (debug log files)?
Is it possible to make the "2 seconds" configurable?

FFNB.
melkov

Post by melkov »

Hi all!

I'm sometimes using a samba share over VPN over internet. What can I say - unfortunately this very old problem still exists, what a shame.

Dear TextPad developers, please make file date and size check routine run in a separate thread (probably one thread per disk drive, you know why)!