Transfering Setting to a new PC.

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

RETE

Transfering Setting to a new PC.

Post by RETE »

I recently had an issue where I will need to load eveything onto a new machine. It is another workstation of the same specs. Is there a way to save and transfer over my syntax highlighting settings?

Any help would be great.

-Rete
helios

Post by helios »

Information on how to transfer your personal configurations, which will include your license details, is available from the Help menu as follows:

From the Help menu choose:

1. Help Topics
2. Contents
3. Plus sign next to "How to"
4. Plus sign next to "Customize settings"
5. Transferring between Pc's
Helios Software Solutions
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

yordan,

I downloaded TextPadSettingsExporter.zip but didn't see any READ ME file or instructions on exactly what to do, how it works, and what to do afterwards.

The TextPad Help, How To ..., Customize Settings, Transferring Between PC's has the user copying limited specific files located in three separate folders; Macros, Custom Shortcuts and 5.0 plus doing an Export of the Registry.

Do your exporter scripts do more?

Also, nothing in the Help file's discussion on transferring mentioned the dictionary and provisions for any of its customization. I didn't find any facility for exporting/ importing such customizations made to dictionaries. Do your scripts - or any other facility in TextPad - allow transferring customized dictionaries?

Thank you very much for any reply.

Kind regards,

Kelly
OnlyTextPad

Post by OnlyTextPad »

*** didn't see any READ ME file or instructions on exactly what to do, how it works, and what to do afterwards.
I was too lazy ... on the next release ...

*** Do your exporter scripts do more?
No. But thanks for those I will add them in the next release and inform you here about them ...

** Also, nothing in the Help file's discussion on transferring mentioned the dictionary and provisions for any of its customization. I didn't find any facility for exporting/ importing such customizations made to dictionaries. Do your scripts - or any other facility in TextPad - allow transferring customized dictionaries?
No. I do not use them. I do not know how to use them ...

If you would like the next release to have those. Could you list me those specs in the following way:

- Create proper ReadMe.txt
- Create backoupd of the Custom Dictionary folder ...

And as soon as I have time I will add those ...

Ideally this whole settings transfer should be simply a double-clickable setup.exe ... which should be smart enough to set the correct settings ...

yet first the cmd should be created ... If it would get too messy the whole thingy could be implemented in Perl .. .

So what I have done is more of a shared version of the script which is enough for my needs ; ) ... as egoistically as it might seem ...
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Hi Yordan,

No, it doesn't seem egotistical - it's very kind of your to offer to share what you have invented and willingness to do even more - thank you!

I'm surprised that you don't use a dictionary, but can understand if your primary use of TextPad is in writing code. I'm a terrible speller and appreciate all of my apps that show me my mistakes.. at least ones involving spelling ;)

Kind regards,

Kelly
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

FWIW...

I'm running a Win 7 64-bit machine, and found that the locations for all of the customization files outlined in the Help file were in:

C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\5.0

and included the user's customized dictionary (.TLX)
OnlyTextPad

2.0 beta ...

Post by OnlyTextPad »

Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Hi Yordan,

Thank you for your efforts.

The file name textpadsettingsexporter.zip.20110528_200629.txt seems strange - sould it be textpadsettingsexporter.zip instead?

The READ ME didn't really explain what the user is to do, the order in which to do it nor what they should do afterwards.

Do I need to first create a discrete folder for the contents of textpadsettingsexporter.zip?

Then make sure TextPad is not running before double clicking ... TextPadSettingsExporter.cmd?

Then save this folder and all of its subfolders, copy them onto the new machine, install TextPad and run it once, close it, and then double click IMPORT_TEXTPAD_SETTINGS.cmd?

Was this written for all versions of Windows, only Win XP 32 or only Win 7 64-bit?

Will the directory structures and their differences on the various OSs be an issue to be concerned with before starting?

Thanks again for all of your work.

Kind regards,

Kelly