Textpad@ WIN 7 64-bit

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kelvincym

Textpad@ WIN 7 64-bit

Post by kelvincym »

Recently i am using Textpad 5 to do my JAVA assignment but I cant use the External Tools to compile it. The java external function is there but it shows "
The system cannot find the file specified". Anyone who has solved the problem, please help me。Thank you very much.

Note: My computer's OS is windows 7 prof 64-bit and using JAVA SDK 1.6 64-bit.
kegger

compile/run tools

Post by kegger »

Same problem here, I've used textpad before but now that I've got Win7 Ult. 64 bit I cant compile or run any of my programs. Under the tools menu, external tools, all it has is a grayed out User tool1? Ctrl 1 and 2 don't work either.
kegger

Post by kegger »

Ok maybe I should have tried a little harder before posting. What you have to do is go to Configure, Preferences, Tools, Add.
minuz

I'm having the same problem

Post by minuz »

Hi, I'm a Java student and I've been trying to solve this problem with textpad@Windows 7 64-bits and my problem is...

TextPad is the official compiler for the course and I'm not allowed to use another tool to compile my applications.

I've added the java.exe, javac.exe and appletviewer.exe but the applets are not running.

Firstly, the Textpad didn't recognized the JDK for 64bits and I had to add the external tools manually, however, the appletviewer.exe is not working...the applet is compiling but not running...

Does anyone have some solution for this??
MudGuard

Re: I'm having the same problem

Post by MudGuard »

minuz wrote:TextPad is the official compiler for the course and I'm not allowed to use another tool to compile my applications.
Textpad is no compiler, it is a text editor, therefore your sentence doesn't make any sense.
edpoor

Re: I'm having the same problem

Post by edpoor »

MudGuard wrote:
minuz wrote:TextPad is the official compiler for the course and I'm not allowed to use another tool to compile my applications.
Textpad is no compiler, it is a text editor, therefore your sentence doesn't make any sense.
Sure, it makes sense. He meant that they are required to use TextPad to send their source files to the compiler.

Anyway, you have to set the PATH variable manually. I just did it on my own Windows 7 64 bit machine.

1. Open the System Properties (e.g., by right-clicking on My Computer, choosing properties, and then "Advance System Settings")

2. Click on "Environment Variables"

3. Under "System Variables", scroll down to "Path"

4. Add the path ... separated by a semi-colon

For example, put "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_21\bin;" in front of what the current path is.

The next time you start TextPad and go to Configure | Preferences | Tools then the "Add" button will magically have "Java SDK Commands".

I hope this saves you some time.

Ed Poor