column indicator / horizontal ruler

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rmosko

column indicator / horizontal ruler

Post by rmosko »

I would like to see the option of adding a column indicator / horizontal ruler at the top of the screen, similar to the line numbers option.

I've seen one suggested workaround in this forum - keeping a "column-header"-type clip in the clip library, and I do use the column indicator in the status bar, but I prefer something more like a ruler that also graphically indicates the column that the cursor is in.

While we're at it, I'd also like to be able to control tab settings within the ruler, especially useful for copying/pasting text back and forth to Excel spreadsheets.

I realize both ideas have been suggested in the past, but not recently, so I'm reproposing them.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Until the enhancement request is implemented, here is another workaround, can be used with any product:
http://www.fabsoft.com/products/ruler/ruler.html
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
rmosko

Post by rmosko »

Thanks, Bob, but that link doesn't appear to work at the moment - guess I'll try later...
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

It just worked for me.

Using Firefox, did not cut/paste, just right clicked on the link to open in new window.
Bob
Haro

Post by Haro »

How about this. I suggested this not long ago. It provides a ruler that can also indent columns, like what MS Word does. And they could make it indent certain keywords/characters to easily align things
Customer in computer shop: "Can you copy the Internet onto this disk for me?"
rmosko

Post by rmosko »

Thanks - I had read thru that thread, and that would be a great enhancement - I can't count how many times I would have used it had it been there. I was just thinking that a simpler enhancement may have more of a chance of being implemented, but now I've changed my mind - I want that!!!

[Bob - I tried FabSoft's ruler, but since I usually work with text files where the lines extend past the right edge of the screen, it's of limited use to me - it won't follow horizontal scrolling, as far as I can tell.]
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

You are correct, it cannot follow a scroll. It is a visual aid only, not integrated with any programs.
Bob
MalcolmMcCorquodale

Post by MalcolmMcCorquodale »

I would like to add my vote to have a horizontal ruler on the top as well. (Similar to what is in CodeWright.)
Britt

Workaround for lack of Column indicator

Post by Britt »

Other than editable macros, a column (right margin) indicator is what I miss most in TextPad. I still use version 4.7.3.

As a workaround, I set the "word break at column number" preference to 80 and then activate word wrap. If I type past column 80 I get an immediate visual indication that I've gone too far and I can fix it right away.

- Britt
pbd99

Post by pbd99 »

One thing similar to the horizontal ruler would be the ability to show the fixed column widths with a light grey vertical line, just a visual indicator of the columns. I work with a program that still requires input file data in 8 column wide fields. Having a constant visual indicator of the field widths with light vertical lines would be awesome!
Ajax4Hire

Request: Horizontal Ruler

Post by Ajax4Hire »

I would also like to place my vote for a Horizontal Ruler.

Minor Tick mark every 5 spaces;
Major Tick mark every 10 spaces;
Mark for Tabstops as an example (similar to what is available on NoteTab).
Ajax 4Hire
A life less ordinary.
www.ajax4hire.com