Textpad under wine - Linux

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

zainka

Textpad under wine - Linux

Post by zainka »

Anyone had experience running TextPad under wine (linux)???

I have never found a better and more convenient text editor than Textpad, ever! Neither for Linux, Mac, or Windows. It is therefor a shame that we are not able to see this wonderfull program running on Linux/Unix platform.

I know I am not alone when it comes to the wish of having Textpad on linux, but the Helios team seems to be a bit snooty when people asks for the chance for having a linux port of Textpad.

It seems they might beleive that if a program is to run under Linux it has to be free, thus they will be loosing money. Well, Thats not the case and I am more than willing of having to pay another fee for having this fabolus sw running on Linux. (Hellooooooo?? Are you there Helios? Never mind.)

However, I have had a few shots trying to make Textpad running under wine. But textpad seems to not be fully compatible and runs very slows. With slow i mean one character pr 2 seconds. I have tried this on several machines and not found a solution. Anyone else running Textpad under wine?

For now i run bluefish, but it is at best a ok bluecopy of textpad, but lack some features. I know there was some issues earlier that Linux wm's not supporting movable pane / pane reorganization, however, I kan live with the GUI used in good old 4.7.3

PLease please please. Its your fault Helious. YOU made me dependent of Textpad, now you solve it.
----------------
best regards
Zainka (Z)
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

I haven't tried it in a while, but the last time I did it, it worked fine. It was a little sluggish, but not bad. The only issue I had was trying to configure preferences. It wouldn't work (don't remember the exact issue). The workaround I used was to configure TextPad in a Windows box and export the registry entries, then import them into Wine.

The closest editor I've found on Linux to Textpad is Nedit.