File size limit for textfiles....

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

gan

File size limit for textfiles....

Post by gan »

It would be very nice if textpad had no file size limit in a future version.....hopefully in the close future.

I read several threads about the file size limit for text files and it's not as simple as increasing the paging file or free up memory even if the size limit is 2gb (or whatever the limit is). I had a 500mb file and paging file that is 2gb in addition to 2gb of ram, but still get the "disk full....." message. Using another text editor that has no file size limit i had no problems at all opening the file. The other text editor neither had a problem opening text files above 5gb. I understand that the other text editor do not load the whole file into memory and only load a small portion of the file into memory at one time, but this is the only way for files of this size and much better then not being able to open the file at all. Please remove this silly size limit from textpad.

If anyone find it strange with such big text files it's basically logfiles with debug logging infomation that increase very fast. I need to be able to open such files in a text editor.
marius

Out of memory

Post by marius »

Hi

Just wanting to say that, I`ve tried to alter a 3,6 GB textfile and got the error msg. out of memory, but it works fine in notepad..:-)
running 8 CPU with 12GB ram

I love textpad..use it every day..
geewizz7

Largish files

Post by geewizz7 »

I used to open very large files with textpad, and it was by far the fastest editor to do this. My files were not more than a few meg, though.
I also think it should be possible to open huge files (10+gig) - but NOT to load it all into memory. (I don't use textpad anymore, so I don't know the current state of the latest versions).
If an operation is going to take a long time (10 seconds or more), the user should be warned with an OK/Cancel box.
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

I'd prefer that they didn't homogenize. I like TextPad because it is a fast, in-memory editor. If I need a disk-based editor, those are already available. If I wanted to look at a mult-gig log file, I would use something more appropriate to that task. Besides, are you really going to edit a 10GB file?
geewizz7

Disk Editor

Post by geewizz7 »

Goodness me! I would never edit such a large file, but I have met some people who would try it (these people usually start complaining that their computer is rubbish!!). I also prefer in-memory text editors, but my point is that if the file *is* that big, textpad should not try to load it all - it would crash. It should just load the portions being viewed.
I am not suggesting that textpad become a disk-editor neither. The idea is that the existing file should be used as a paging file (as opposed to copying it all into a new paging file). Textpad can then remember the changes made (and address of those changes). When saving to a new file it would copy the original and add the modifications.

Maybe Textpad does something like this already... it does seem rather fast when loading files.
gan

Post by gan »

There are other text editor that is just as fast or even faster the textpad that can open files which is 50gb or more. If someone believe such a feature would make the editor slow that's not correct. Such a feature neither make it a disk-based editor. Everything is done in memory unless there is a need to do it otherwise. So those that open small files should not notice any difference. I had to open log files that is 10-20gb several times and don't really edit, but open to read. Textpad couldn't do it of course, but using another editor i had no problems open larger files. I could also specify that i just want to open parts of the file like the end, middle or whatever i need.

Since almost every text editor that is still under development can open much larger files than textpad i believe this is a feature that belongs to a text editor. There really been no huge enhancement of Textpad for many years now which is a shame since it used to be among the very best. It's still among the best for those that do not need several of the features available in other text editor that Textpad been missing for a long time even after a lot of requests.

I really hope Helios will start to do some real development of Textpad again in the future and add more features that is standard for other text editors today. Also they should start listen to the customers and the requests made by the customers.