No
27%
Not Sure
No votes

Total votes: 33

geewizz7

Waste of time

Post by geewizz7 »

KDE on Linux already has several good editors - Kate and KWrite both work seamlessley, and have many nice features (including unicode support). I think Textpad would find it difficult to compete.
However, it is true that with more and more companies switching to Linux, some users might like the familiarity of keeping Textpad (but even then it can be run under Wine).
zainka

Post by zainka »

Sorry, but I have tried both Kate and KWrite and they are hoax at best in my opinion compared to textpad. Dont like em at all. At the moment though code blocks is my favourite together with SciTE, but I still find Textpad more usefull.

To run Textpad under wine you do have some requirements on your HW. When my budget grow, I may invest in some better HW to have a proper performance of Textpad in wine. Tried it once but found it to slowed down so much that it became anoying.
----------------
best regards
Zainka (Z)
ineuw

TextPad Linux Port

Post by ineuw »

Closed voting or not, this is another great idea I support. Lack of TP in Linux is one of the reasons I am still working in Windows. I am aware of Wine but never explored it because life is short.

I am also of the view that there will be no further development of TP in the foreseeable future on any platform. It is sad because in the software universe, one must swim or sink.
twcamper

YES

Post by twcamper »

I've tried lots of things on ubuntu and fedora, but nothing quite meets all the of criteria of lightness of weight, ease, and power.

geany ( no ctags, and the native solution doesn't work)
Kate ( no ruby or other script exec under gnome!)
bluefish ( limited, but nice)
gedit
vim ( a strange and wonderful world, but simple things like a cross-app clipboard or bulk-file find/replace just don't work)
tim . . .
zainka

Post by zainka »

ping

..Just keeping alive the linux port enhancement request!
----------------
best regards
Zainka (Z)
tbiggs

Linux text editor

Post by tbiggs »

I've really grown accustomed to all of the various features of Textpad. For various reasons I've switched my home computers to Linux, and I really miss Textpad. (I wouldn't wish Textpad under Wine on anybody).

Since the Textpad programmers don't seem to want to take advantage of a virgin market without a good text editor (they would certainly get my money), I don't know what I am going to do cough*cough*ultraedit*cough--um, excuse me I have a cold.
rewguy

Post by rewguy »

There is nothing but garbage in Linux compared to Textpad. Please condsider a port!
webgoddess

Post by webgoddess »

tbiggs wrote:I really miss Textpad. (I wouldn't wish Textpad under Wine on anybody).
As much as i'd love to see a native linux version, TextPad under wine actually works great, the only thing you have to do is set the document classes to create new files as UNIX instead of defaulting to PC.

If you have troubles with wine i strongly recommend installing PlayOnLinux; that takes all the guesswork out of it.

Otherwise gedit is pretty great for a simple no-frills editor and gvim is at least as powerful as TextPad just has a big (but worthwhile) learning curve.
zainka

Post by zainka »

After a looooong time away from textpad, after switching from M$ world to linux (yuippeee), I start a test with wine one several computers a while a go, and I must say there has been some (!) good increase in wines compatibility.

Textpad runs more or less flawless under wine except for a few hickups here and there. However, They can all be tweaked so that they wont affect daily work. Except for one on one machine. First time running everything is fine, then next time program halts with message cant access ConfigState.xml. If deleting this file i can reopen textpad, but next time again it crashes. Have no solution for this so if you happens to know......

Then why did I go back to Textpad after so many years?

You know, good old lovers cant be forgotten easily and even though I have been satisfied with scite and codelite which I now use, Textpad does have something little extra not found elsewhere. Its hard to point a finger on it as most features is indeed already available in many other editors, but its actually not a question on which features is implemented, but more about HOW they have implemented them. And here is the clue for why I find TextPad so lovely.

BUT, I still find it to be an insult that Textpad wont be developed for Linux. Ill gladly pay the price again for this masterpiece if developed for Linux and I have not yet decided if i will continue to use TP under wine.

And finally, I haven't regret a single day that I switched from Windows to Linux. Not for a split second.

Breg
Vidar
----------------
best regards
Zainka (Z)
junhou

still now Textpad in linux?

Post by junhou »

The vote started in 2004, and now Textpad in linux is available or not?
ak47wong

Re: still now Textpad in linux?

Post by ak47wong »

junhou wrote:The vote started in 2004, and now Textpad in linux is available or not?
Not, and I'm quite certain never will be.