Test Pad also for other OS, like LINUX?

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jgeier

Test Pad also for other OS, like LINUX?

Post by jgeier »

Hello,

you think TextPad also will be avilable for other opperating systems such like LINUX?

I'm an Admin and use TextPad all over my Windows Machines, but i have also to admin LINUX Machines and i were a grat idea to have a such fantastic Text Editor also avalible in this environment.

Kind Regards
Jens Geier
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

My speculation would be that this is unlikely. Running TextPad under Crossover is probably the best workaround at the moment though not ideal.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
Nicholas Jordan

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

SteveH wrote:My speculation would be that this is unlikely. (...snip...)
Correct.

http://www.textpad.com/products/textpad ... tions.html

TextPad 5 is supported on Windows 2000 (SP4), Server 2003, and the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of XP and Vista.

TextPad 4 is supported on Windows 95, 98, 2000 (SP4), Server 2003, and 32-bit editions of XP.
zainka

Post by zainka »

Ok.. I know that the topic is an old one, but would like to comment it anyway because i feel it is somewath important to get a clear answer from the great Helios team...

What the topic author was asking for was if Textpad in the FUTURE will be available for linux, Not if the spec to day says it does or not.

I have tried to get an clear answer from Helios on this, and I know that several others has as well, but there is no responce and no refference to this under the FAQs. Therefor I sugest that everybody that would like to see a Linux version is sugesting this in the Enhancement Suggestions
forum.

Running Vi, SciTe, or gedit is realy not comparable since Textpad has such a rich featureset which would nail the mentioned one to the floor for ever when it comes to c/c++, java, web and plain text editing. Also having one environment that is the same both in linux and for other OSs (not to mention which) would make textpad (moor than) a great competitor towards eclipse aswell which is a pain in the .... to get comfortable with whit its project oriented slow and ugly user interface.

For the moment I use SciTe as my preferable editor on my Linux workstations, but still, after several months I miss Textpad. Using Textpad through wine or others is giving so many performance penalties that it realy is not an alternative at all. Helios... We NEED Textpad under linux and is ready to pay an extra license for it aswell.

So.. please please please
egodoyc

It runs incredibly well with wine under any x86 linux kerne

Post by egodoyc »

The only thing you need to run TextPad under Linux is to activate the WINE daemon.

It runs perfectly, of course only in x86 kernel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)
zainka

Post by zainka »

Which is just as effective as a political resolution ...

Wine has been tested with textpad long ago but performance penalties are way above what is aceptable for me. Wont buy new highspec computer to have it work acceptable... However, I have switched to code::blocks both for windows and linux. Works like ...
----------------
best regards
Zainka (Z)
egodoyc

Post by egodoyc »

zainka wrote:Which is just as effective as a political resolution ...

Wine has been tested with textpad long ago but performance penalties are way above what is aceptable for me. Wont buy new highspec computer to have it work acceptable... However, I have switched to code::blocks both for windows and linux. Works like ...
OK, sorry. It was just an idea.

And it may be useful for somebody with not so hi performance standards… after all, running TextPad with Wine under Linux is much better than not running it at all.
dtoader

Textpad for Linux would be a major undertaking

Post by dtoader »

Speaking as a C/C++ Win32 developer who has worked on
porting apps to different systems, I think it is fair to say that
in porting to Linux, the Helios team would run into several
difficulties. First, if the code base of Textpad seems to be
C/C++ with Win32/MFC calls, perhaps compiled in Visual
Studio. The app will have to be rewritten from
the ground up for another platform. Porting (if done right)
takes a lot of time, and since time==money. Helios might not have
the money for that undertaking since their market is Windows
platform developers / text wranglers.
zainka

Post by zainka »

Then they should switch market as more and more developers switch platform
----------------
best regards
Zainka (Z)