Wow...is 5.2 really garbage?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mrdctaylor

Wow...is 5.2 really garbage?

Post by mrdctaylor »

I just got a new machine (Vista Enterprise) and purchased 5.2. I installed it and every time I double-clicked any file associated with TextPad I got an error saying it could not find the file. What crap. I read various threads on here with various fixed and never got it to work. I uninstalled it and then installed 4.7.3 and it works like a charm. What gives? Does anyone know what is going on with this? Why do I have to use a version from 5 years ago?

By the way, I'm not trying to be offensive here. It is just that I've used the product for YEARS and have always loved it. But this debacle is just horrible. I installed on a virgin Vista Enterprise machine and it doesn't work, yet a version from 2003 works? Yuck.
mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

Well, I guess this board isn't too active. Is there any news of a version that actually works like it is supposed to on Vista?
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I think the board is pretty active. You just have to strike the right tone.

According to this thread there will be maintenance upgrade some time. It might fix your problem.

Andrew
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I just KNEW there was a reason I had not upgraded to Vista.

TP 5.2 rocks!
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

Still hoping for a maintenance release. How LONG has Vista been out? Come on guys. We paid for this software, it'd be nice if it worked on the platforms it is SUPPOSED to work on.

In hindsight I should've tested 5.2 out on Vista before I paid the money. But I'd had such good luck with 4.x on XP that it never occurred to me the new version would be BROKEN. And yes, when I double click on a txt (or other supported file type) get an error it is VERY much broken. :-(
helios

Post by helios »

Have you tried redoing your file associations under Configure/Preferences/Associated files?
Helios Software Solutions
mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

Yeh, it isn't that. It gave an error saying it couldn't find the file. It looks like lots of other people had this problem. I installed 5.2 on a brand new Vista installation and it wouldn't work. Are you saying that this isn't a normal problem?
mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

Anyone? No? :-(
kitimat

Post by kitimat »

working for me just fine. 64bit vista & latest textpad. All I had to do was set the file associations.

perhaps you would get more responses if you you didn't come across like a troll.

kitimat
mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

Maybe. But then again, when I pay for software I expect to get some sort of support. It isn't like this is freeware. And as you can see from the links that I gave it is not working for others as well.
PeteTheBloke

Post by PeteTheBloke »

You had me worried - I was reading this thread just before transferring TP from XP to 32-bit Vista ultimate. I took a deep breath and installed. It works like a dream as far as I can see. I hope you get your issues sorted out.
mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

Glad to hear it worked for you. I'm almost tempted to re-try 5.2.0 just in case installing it AFTER installing 4.x clears up the problem. Did you have an older version installed prior to moving to 5.2.0?
PeteTheBloke

Post by PeteTheBloke »

For me it was a brand new install of TP on a brand new install of Vista on a brand new machine that I just built. No complaints at all.

As for Vista.... that's another matter, but I've committed myself to sticking with it now. Wish I'd just used XP though. This UAC s--t is driving me up the wall.
mrdctaylor

Post by mrdctaylor »

Boy, did I make a mistake. As you can gather from this thread, I could not get a 5.2.1 installation on a brand new Vista machine to work properly. File associations never worked correctly despite the fact that I was doing everything correctly. I had to go back to 4.7.3.

I've been happily using 4.7.3 for almost a year when I noticed today that a new version of Textpad was out. I thought I would take a chance. Wow--what a mistake.

I installed it and immediately began getting all of the same issues with file associations that could not be fixed through normal means. I ended up uninstalling and re-installing 4.7.3 and everything was STILL screwed up.

I ended up having to work for several hours using 3rd-party de-installation tools (to remove screwed-up registry entries) before I could get back to a working version of 4.7.3. It was horrible.

I still cannot figure out why 5.x works for some Vista users but not others. I installed a 5.x version on a Windows 7 machine I'm testing and it worked fine. Go figure.