Incremental Search

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

swimszoots

Incremental Search

Post by swimszoots »

It's been mentioned before but incremental search a la emacs or eclipse is a really nice feature.
Thanks.
-bob
jgrills

Incremental Search

Post by jgrills »

Now that we know development on TextPad continues, I'd like to reiterate the request for incremental search. Emacs and Visual Studio both have it, and once you're used to it, it's hard to live without. Please consider adding support for it TextPad.
dak

Post by dak »

Put me down as a vote for this feature also. I have become so used to it with Firefox, that it feels funny to use an application that doesn't have it.

Cheers,

dak
troels_kn

Post by troels_kn »

+1
xaveco

Post by xaveco »

+3 votes in here, you can consider mine plus my two addicted friends in here! We were just wondering how come a so wonderful text editor like Textpad doesn't have it while a poorer yet growing up alternative like Notepad++ has it. Please think about it dear authors!
NewWorldMan

Incremental Search

Post by NewWorldMan »

Add me to the requests for this feature.
Alan-LB

Post by Alan-LB »

Please add me too. I have been using jEdit for Java code which has a good Incremental Search. I only discovered TextPad recently and so far it is the best editor not only for code but also for general use.

But I do miss a good Incremental Search.

I really like the "Find in Files" facility which gives me the grep options to search multiple files with RegEx

Alan
qkz73

powerful

Post by qkz73 »

The find in files combined with a replace in all open documents can be extremely powerful. I haven't used their WildEdit stuff yet, but I'll bet that so many people using TextPad for exactly this reason is what caused them to develop that product.
- QKZ -
BoD

Incremental Search

Post by BoD »

+1
it's really a time saver, plus I bet it's quick to implement ;)

BoD
anthony

Incremental Search yes, Yes, YES

Post by anthony »

I love textpad's minimalist approach, but this would a real aid.

Tony
ivosper

Incremental Search and Reverse Search!

Post by ivosper »

Hey Guys,

TextPad can actually do this pretty easily. To do a search, hit F5, and enter the search text.

Now, for incremental forward searches, just hit "ctrl+f", and it will repeat the search for you.

If you want to be able to search in reverse, using "ctrl+r" as in emacs, you can set that up pretty quickly. Navigate to Configure->Preferences->Keyboard. Now, click the mouse in the "Press new shortcut key", and type "Ctrl+r". Ctrl+r may be used already to play a macro, so you might want to go remap that one after doing this.

Click "Search" in the categories selection list. Then click "SearchFindPrevious" in the commands selection list. You'll probably see that you can already do an incremental reverse search, using "ctrl+shift+f" or something. If you want, you can make "Ctrl+r" do this as well: Go back to the "Press new shortcut key" textbox, and re-type "ctrl+r". Click "Assign" at the top right, and you're all set.

Now you can do an incremental forward search by repeatedly hitting "ctrl+f", and then if you want to search backwards, just hit "ctrl+r".
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Ivosper,

That's not incremental searching. The idea is that you don't have to press a shortcut every time the search phrase is changed, but that searching is performed immediately while typing in the Find what box.

Berend
probell

Incremental Search

Post by probell »

+1 long time user request for incremental search.