TextPad 5.1 and .reg files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

DaveWick

TextPad 5.1 and .reg files

Post by DaveWick »

I don't seem to be able to use TextPad 5.1 to edit a .reg file (and have Windows use it). The trick since v4.7.3 was to add .reg "document class" with "Write Unicode and UTF-8 BOM" enabled. I'm not able to make this work with v5.1.0. HELP!

Thanks!
Dave
gan

Post by gan »

I assume the problem is that you cannot import the file into registry after it's been saved from textpad? It should work if you select the UTF-8 encoding in the save dialog box when saving the file from textpad. So if you already have a reg file choose "save as" When saving and change the encoding to UTF-8.
DaveWick

Post by DaveWick »

Well, that seems to work but is rather inconvenient. Why can't I configure a "registry" document class to do this? The options that would seem to do it just don't.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Dave
gan

Post by gan »

You should be able to do that as well. I have a document class where i added "*.reg" to "files in class" and checked "Write unicode and UTF-8 BOM" and also selected UTF-8 as the default encoding for that class. Maybe you didn't select UTF-8 as the default encoding for that class?
DaveWick

Post by DaveWick »

Very odd. I've done that as well and it does NOT work. Please confirm ... I'm doing this on v5.1.0.

Thanks!
gan

Post by gan »

I'm using textpad 5.1 as well and the OS is WinXP SP2 English, but the regional settings on the computer is set to Norwegian. I'm not sure if any of this info about the OS is relevant, but strange that it doesn't work on your computer so obviously something is different.

I tried to export something from registry, make a change in textpad and save the file. I also tried creating a new file from textpad and saved the file as test.reg. Both imported just fine when i doubleclicked on the files. When i saved the files i didn't make any changes to the encoding or anything else.
DaveWick

Post by DaveWick »

Well, I got it working ... although I'm not really sure what's different now. It seems like if/how the file association for .reg files is configured has something to do with it. Very weird ...

Thanks for your assistance!
Lerin Sonberg

Post by Lerin Sonberg »

gan wrote:
I assume the problem is that you cannot import the file into registry after it's been saved from textpad?

Yes, I've experienced exactly this situation.
I've a .reg file exported by RegEdit, edited and saved with TextPad 4. Windows imported it without problems.
Recently I upgraded to TextPad 5 and edited this file. Windows could not import it after saving.
I examined the files, and noticed that the FFFE leading bytes are omitted by TextPad 5. The rest of the file was OK . The Encodind in the Save As dialog was Unicode.
Then I read this thread, and saved the file in UTF-8 format. Windows could import it, so my actual problem is solved, but I wonder why TextPad 5 can not preserve the file format even when nothing is changed in the text!