Find and Replace - Grand Unification Theory

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is a unified find and replace to you?

Top priority
41%
Important
41%
Would be nice
16%
Somewhat unimportant
3%
Unimportant, despite the fact that the size/efficiency of TextPad would be improved
No votes

Total votes: 74

woho

Post by woho »

Bob Hansen wrote:
I would very much like the following feature: Let the user save often used find & replace expressions as presets, together with a name for the preset to memorize it by.
You can do that now by making a Clip Library for RegEx strings.

Not quite the same as selecting from a drop down while in the Find/Search window, but is available to use today.
I use this the way you suggested. BUT
1) It would save much time if a doublecklick on the ClipLibrary inserted the item in the "Search For"(using German Version => that's just a guess) text field of the Find/Replace/FindInFiles dialog when it is active instead inserting it in the (inactive) document
2) how to remember all the radiobuttons and checkboxes ?

=> an extra "Find Library Window" would be great, interpreting simple text files (*.tfl - Textpad Find Library) built similiar to *.tcl files but including information of all the options

regards
Wolfgang
BryceS

Post by BryceS »

Hi,

While on topic of regular expression searching I would like to see added ability to search across multiple lines. Maybe a setting of 'Within X lines'.

For instance, we have lots of select cursor statements in our code, and trying to find 'column' instances on one line matched against a 'from table' clause two or three lines further down is not possible.

eg....
Select c.name_id, o.order_no, o.order_date,
i.item_description
from customer c, orders o, items i
where ......

Now try finding regular expression: "select.*name_id.*from.*orders" where 'orders' could be two to four lines away from the rest of the expression....

This is the one enhancement I need to regular expressions.

Regards,
Bryce Stenberg
mattrix

Post by mattrix »

woho wrote:
Bob Hansen wrote:
I would very much like the following feature: Let the user save often used find & replace expressions as presets, together with a name for the preset to memorize it by.
You can do that now by making a Clip Library for RegEx strings.

Not quite the same as selecting from a drop down while in the Find/Search window, but is available to use today.
I use this the way you suggested. BUT
1) It would save much time if a doublecklick on the ClipLibrary inserted the item in the "Search For"(using German Version => that's just a guess) text field of the Find/Replace/FindInFiles dialog when it is active instead inserting it in the (inactive) document
2) how to remember all the radiobuttons and checkboxes ?

=> an extra "Find Library Window" would be great, interpreting simple text files (*.tfl - Textpad Find Library) built similiar to *.tcl files but including information of all the options

regards
Wolfgang
I was thinking that i want a search-and-replace-settings clip-library-like thing, too. Franky, I'd like it VERY much. I've had to open extra windows to store the things.

But, I don't understand the suggestion being offered as a workaround.