Make "Another application has ..." less annoying

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

THAiSi

Make "Another application has ..." less annoying

Post by THAiSi »

For my work I have to dig through logfiles occasionally. Unfortunately every time the webserver updates this logfile (about every 3 secs!) Textpad comes with an really annoying popup "Another application has updated file .... reload it?"

the problem with this message is:
- Its modal. Everything you where doing, like search, save as etc is interrupted.

A good fix would be a small icon in the status bar, that if the file updates lights up and shows a notification balloon stating that the file has been updated by another application. A balloon like this is easy to ignore if you are busy, and if you want to reload the file you can click on the icon in the status bar.

Now Textpad is REALLY annoying when working with log files
troels_kn

Post by troels_kn »

Preferences > File > When files are modified by another process > Ignore
THAiSi

Post by THAiSi »

and how can I reload a file then?
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

File | Revert.
THAiSi

Post by THAiSi »

Thanks, I use those settings then
CodeBase

Post by CodeBase »

troels_kn wrote:Preferences > File > When files are modified by another process > Ignore
Ignoring file changes for everything is not ideal. For some files, I actually do want to know if the file changes. For others, I want to ignore. I do not want to have to turn this feature on or off depending on what file I am viewing.

Here is a better suggestion. The "Another application has updated...reload?" dialog to appear, but bottom of the dialog has a check box that says something like, "Don't promt again for this file." If the box is checked, subsequent changes to the file will be ignored.
geewizz7

First suggestion

Post by geewizz7 »

I think the first suggestion is the best. In Kate, the file shows an exclaimation mark next to the filename in the file list and in the application title bar. Clicking on this prompts you to 'reload the file' or 'ignore' or 'ignore always for this file'.
This would also fix the bug where some antivirus software meddles with the system date of a file, causing textpad to become confused and lock up with a perpetually reappearing 'the file has changed' box.
A modal dialogue would definitely be annoying - but it's good that Helios at least addressed the issue and let you know about the change.
crkpilot

Post by crkpilot »

omg so annoying...cant use textpad when editing network files. the two second option isn't long enough and the reload message constantly comes up and you have to task manager kill everything.......can't turn the prompt off cause i need it on for other stuff