Close (X) button on File tab

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Do you think this feature is a good idea?

Yes
69%
No
20%
Not Sure
10%

Total votes: 49

smolkowski

Close X Should Be Optional

Post by smolkowski »

I'd like the option to have a close X on tabs, but I probably wouldn't use them. I don't in the browser I use. For web pages with short names, I sometimes hit the X rather than the rest of the tab, closing the tab I want to see. My browser, however, allows me to assign a key to close tabs, so I use Ctrl-Right-Click. I find that much more convenient.
diek

Close (X) button on File tab

Post by diek »

I concur, the x button should be adjacent to the filename. Its current position, on the bottom right, is cumbersome. It is not intuitive. I seem to recall on the last version the x was located top right.

diek
kAlvaro

Post by kAlvaro »

I do hate close buttons on tabs. They absolutely slow down my work since every time I switch tabs with the mouse I need to carefully place the pointer outside the button or I'll accidentally close the document.

Programs with multi-document interface has always had a per-document close button bellow the general application close button (when the document is maximized), just like TextPad 4 does. It's very intuitive and it didn't seem to be a problem for years.
hankster

Post by hankster »

Okay, I'm late to the party on this, but here's another vote for putting the X on all tabs.

Hank