backtick - not available in Textpad 5

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

warsub

backtick - not available in Textpad 5

Post by warsub »

I need to enter the backtick character (` alt+096) as a quote character around MySQL field and table names in sql queries, but the character is unavailable from the keyboard in Textpad 5. It is hyper-annoying to have to enter it via the alt-key everytime. Apart from reverting to Textpad 4.73 (which works fine), is there a fix for this?
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

1. Make a macro to enter the backtick.
2. Assign a hot key to run the macro.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
troels_kn

Post by troels_kn »

Your keyboard must be broken. I have no trouble typing it.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

In my textpad, it is no problem to get the backtick.
But as it is a combining character, it does not appear if I only press the backtick key, it appears only on the next key press (either on top of a vowel or on its own, depending on whether the backtick can be combined with the next character).

Press the backtick key and then the space key to make the backtick appear.

(btw. this is an OS feature, not Textpad specific)
warsub

Post by warsub »

Thanks for the replies, but there is still an issue for me.

First, Textpad 4.7.3 on Windows XP SP2 has no problem with the backtick (I just press the key and the character is displayed once per press); but in Textpad 5.0.3 on a different machine also running Windows XP SP2 I get the alternative behaviour.

Second, when I uninstalled Textpad 5.0.3 and reinstalled Textpad 4.7.3 on the second machine, it worked in the way I am used to. Hence I can't see how this is an OS feature.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

I'm not sure how TP interferes with Windows, but this is definitely an OS feature. Make sure you don't use the so called "US-International" keyboard layout. (Control Panel > Regional Settings > Languages > Details > Settings). I noticed that Windows regularly resets my changes back to US-intl, maybe that's what happening here.