TP 5 problems upon installation

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Dcantor

TP 5 problems upon installation

Post by Dcantor »

I eagerly downloaded and installed the new edition of Textpad. However, upon installation, I found so many problems, that I removed it and reinstalled TP 4.7.3.

My environment is Windows XP Professional SP2.

Some of the problems I found:

None of the shortcuts worked. I had to search for the program.

Inability to save the window dimensions; i.e., I expand the window to the width and height that I want, close the window, and restart the program. Same old small dimensions.

Loss of customized keystrokes from TP 4. Also loss of syntax files, but I fixed that by copying files from the user, sample, and system subdirectories under Textpad 4 to the same subdirectories under Textpad 5. I couldn't figure out how to get the keystrokes.

So I started rebuilding macros and keystroke definitions. I had a definition in TP4 for selecting and deselecting block mode. I could find no way to do that in TP5.

The help file is incomplete. Under preferences, environment variables, there is a dialog to create and edit variables, pressing F1 for help, yields an error message (something like "Unable to open help ...").

I saw the release note about configurable environment variables. I'd like to know what that means. What I was hoping it meant was that one could use some symbology to include the content of an existing environment variable into the text (perhaps with a macro).

As later versions become available, I expect to try again. For now, though, it looks like I need to stick with TP4. Thankfully, TP4 reinstalled without any problem whatsoever.
Dave C.
Groton, CT
JML

Post by JML »

I saw some of the same problems. The installer didn't see, copy, or delete the user's application data files from version 4, and created a whole new directory structure in the application data folder for version 5, but strangely it still used the old files, even though the preferences options for folder location pointed to the NEW default locations (inconsistently, though, for a subfolder where the custom files OUGHT to go).
a097005

References to TextPad 4 folder in the registry

Post by a097005 »

Experienced some of the same problems. File reference problems may be traced to the failure of the TP 5 install to update references in the registry.

If you run regedit and search for "TextPad 4", you find the source of many problems. Changing (carefully) to "TextPad 5" helps. There are multiple references to find and fix.

Warning: changing your registry can destroy your system, you should make a backup, etc. etc. yada yada yada
Joe