Reload It

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jengo

Reload It

Post by jengo »

I have a suggestion for the "Reload It" feature. The options to the user on the screen are "Yes" and "No". It would be nice if there was a third option called "Never". This option would never check again. I know this is a feature you can turn on and off in the options window, but I don't want to change the global setting. As I said, I like the feature. There are a few occasions where I am watching a batch process that is continually updating a file and I just want to look at a snap-shot of the data. It gets annoying because TextPad keeps asking me if I want to reload it. Just a thought...

Thanks,
Zac
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

I'd like that too. And while we're at it, why not extend it a bit further? I could use a fourth option: "Reload Always", which also doesn't ask again, but keeps reloading the file, regardless of the global setting.
In the statusbar, I'd like a toggle between the different reload modes (Ask, Always and Never), similar to the Read, Ovr, Block, etc toggles that are already there.

Berend
tbeaulieu

How about "not until I switch back to this window"

Post by tbeaulieu »

If I load a log file, it can be unbearable, as the pop-ups happen so fast I have no time to even close the window! If I hit "no", I'd like for it to leave me alone until I either switch out and then back in, or leave the app and come back in. I should be able to scroll around and do whatever I want without the app constantly checking for updates, etc.
tbeaulieu

Don't check for anything but the current window

Post by tbeaulieu »

If I have several log files open over the VPN, even if they're not being displayed, TextPad can become critically unresponsive. I get very short windows in which the mouse/keys will respond between its checking.

Once I close down those windows, everything is perfect.

I don't think any checks for updated files should take place except for the current window.
Dcantor

Yabbut, please have a way to reset it.

Post by Dcantor »

I like the idea of having a 'never' option, but there then ought to be a way to say, "Now I want to reload it, and ask me again in the future" and "Now I want to reload it and continue not asking me again."

Oh I guess one could simply close the file and reopen it....
Dave C.
Groton, CT
tbeaulieu

Post by tbeaulieu »

I really think the most intuitive behavior would be as long as you stay in the file, it wouldn't re-ask you. If you switch to another file and come back in - you're asked. If you switch to another app and come back in - you're asked. This would eliminate the incessant polling that cripples the application over a VPN, since it would only ever look at those times.