Two Issues : Multiple instances

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

webmasta

Two Issues : Multiple instances

Post by webmasta »

Hi dudes:

How do I get multiple instances to run (yes the box is checked in preferences) -- I need to be able to click on different files in explorer and have them open in another instance instead of in the tabbed interface.

/Pete.
helios

Post by helios »

Pete,

You can open files in separate instances of TextPad, by replacing the file "shellext.dll" in the System sub folder of your TextPad installation folder, with the file called "DDE Messages", that you can obtain from here: http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/index.html, as follows:

1. From the Configure menu, choose Preferences.
2. General
3. Uncheck the option to put TextPad on the "Context Menu".
4. Exit from TextPad
5. Shut down and restart the computer
5. Put the file shellext.dll into the System sub folder of your TextPad installation folder, overwriting the original file.

Next: Restart TextPad.

1. From the Configure menu, choose Preferences.
2. General
3. Check the option to put TextPad on the "Context Menu".
4. Click OK

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Steve:

Ok that worked for opening multiple files via the context menu, however doesnt work if I double click each file - which I can live with.

This used to work like a charm in win98, this new machine is XP pro with tons of space and 2GB dual channel Ram/ double processors x 2660 MHz each ...

Which leads me to another bothersome issue :
No instances running and testing with a tiny file.

On double click : TP is slow to open and slower to load the file.

Using the TP context menu instead to first open the same file it opens fast with file loaded.

Point to note: on the context menu, I have two options to open the file :
1. Open with (and I can choose TP or notepad)
2. The TP handler.

TP handler works in a blink, open with TP and double click is a pain.
Open with notepad is fast.

Any ideas?
Thnx/ Pete.
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

I replaced shellext.dll as suggested and all worked fine until today.... now the old behaviour is back opening files in the tabbed interface using the context menu.

On checking the TP\system folder I see that the old dll (48kb) is back.. :shock: I did not put it back nor restored system etc!

Trying to overwrite gives me the error that the file is being used bla bla and TP was closed... both files do not have read only or system checked.

I copied the new file (8.5kb) to a totally different drive then tried replacing the old one with that - same error.

So I rebooted and tried first thing - same error.

TP is not set to run either in known start up reg keys nor in startup folder.
See taskmanager screenshot here

Could it be that the Microsoft Bull is controlling whats best for my system and replacing files from some hidden cache he/it decides I should not tamper with (TM) .. hope not :x

I turned off hide protected files and turned on hidden files , ran a search and no other shellext.dll files were found.

What other bizarre force except Bull could be the culprit here??

/Pete. :?
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Sounds like the Windows Repair System (or whatever its official name is)
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Google says wuaudt.exe is simply Windows AutoUpdater, "mostly harmless" AFAIK.
Google also says that avengine.exe "is related to Panda Antivirus. It is a complex tool, designed to launch the application, control it and provide protection from all kinds of viruses and other security and privacy risks."
Could that be running some file protection system on your little desktop mainframe and thus restoring the dll? I seem to remember Avast antivir offering some service like that.
I can't find the shellext.dll in my C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder so for once we most likely can't blame mr Gates for this one! ;)
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

s_reynisson wrote:Could that be running some file protection system on your little desktop mainframe and thus restoring the dll?
Desktop mainframe .. good one... and that prompted me to go into msconfig and disable each startup item in turn, reboot and try replace.

Seems like theres an item called Inicio.exe, thats the culprit... related to Panda... with that disabled overwriting the dll was successful.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/win ... ry/inicio/

However on subsequent reboots, even with that enabled, I was still able to overwrite the dll :?

Not sure whats the story behind that but how the original 48kb shellext.dll got back into the system is still a mystery... maybe MudGuard has a point, but still I cant find it anywhere in the system other than where its supposed to be, especially in dllcache.

Da mystery continuez.. /Pete
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Just as I thought, 30 mins ago when I submitted the previous post I was able to overwrite the dll, now I cant.. but the dll hasent been changed back... Yet.

This may be related to the Panda doing some bg work and locking down dll files... who knows?

/Pete.