Selector - easy selection mechanism

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jeffveit

Selector - easy selection mechanism

Post by jeffveit »

I've looked through most the selector suggestions because like many people I often have many (usually 10 to 20, but sometimes 50 or 60) related files open. Tabs are useless for this, which is why I use the selector. But this number makes it hard to find things in the selector.

Other people have suggested being able to reorder items on the selector and being able to create a Explorer style heirarchy as a way of organising files into related groups. Here's another suggestion or two...

Although I have many files open, I'm usually editing three or four closely related files. So I'm switching repeatedly amongst these.

- If I could right click and assign a colour to the label in the selector then it would be much easier to navigate between my current files; I'd be able to find them by glancing instead of reading the names.

- If the selector had space at the top listing the last n files that were changed, I'd always know that there was short cut way to jump to one of the files in my edit set.

It might be interesting for Helios to know what sort of editing style their users with large numbers of docs open adopt. Do you also have many docs open for reference, with a small core edit set? Or do you edit lots at once? Do you deal with hierachies of files or is it a flat info space? Knowing more about this might help Helios to make sensible decisions - minimum development for maximum bang.

Jeff Veit
    http://www.tanasity.com/ - Tanasity develops software and net applications

Mobile: +44 (0)7812 217448
    Tel: +44 (0)1223 721499
    lichudang

yes

Post by lichudang »

I agree, I like the right click and color scheme.

I too, usually open 30ish files by loading a workspace, but I almost always only edit 2~3 files among them while the others are just there for reference. I like the idea of able to assign color. Thanks for Jeff's suggestion!