Workspace enhancement:keep entire workspace even file error

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mpniel

Workspace enhancement:keep entire workspace even file error

Post by mpniel »

Workspace enhancement:

Don't change the workspace defined file list at open workspace time, even one or more workspace's file can't be opened at this moment. In this case, the unopened files should be marked in the file selector or something else, as temporarily unopened files. But continue keeping these files as part of the workspace.
Optionally, Textpad will retry later to reopen these files every x minutes, as an option in the preferences window.
Currently, when a workspace is opened, it removes all the files which can't be opened at the moment of the workspace open.
This is very bad, because if let's say you have 10 files on a network disk drive which is currently unreachable, then when you open the workspace all these 10 files will be removed from if. Thus if you didn't backup the workspace file before, you just lost all this files, and have to manually recall all of them and open them again. There are cases that you probably won't be able to remember all of these files.
Also you won't get the list from the file open history because it keeps only the last opened files.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Agreed. Also happens if you use junctions (Miscrosoft's apologies for symbolic links to directories) if you've disconnected them (for example, to stop your virus checker checking evrything several times).

Temporary work-around until Helios fixes this: Copy the workspace file as soon as you notice what's happened, before you close the TextPad session. You can even do this (at least in recent versions of Windows) from within TextPad, from the File Open dialogue box.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I wrote:Miscrosoft
That was a typo. But it was a singularly appropriate one, so I'll leave it be. :-)
mpniel

Post by mpniel »

Your work-arround doesn't work, because Textpad modifies the workspace during the open session so the only curent solution is a i mentioned before: do always a backup of the workspace file before opening it, just in case some files won't open .
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

It does work here. I do it often. Perhaps some of our settings differ.
mpniel

Post by mpniel »

My version is 4.7.2
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

So is mine. It does work.