Keep defined bookmarks saved even after closing the file

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mpniel

Keep defined bookmarks saved even after closing the file

Post by mpniel »

It would be great to have the functionality of keeping the defined bookmarks even after reopenning a file, as a preferences option.
The implementation could be, by keeping in a history file, the filename and the line numbers where bookmarks were defined for each file.
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

This would be metadata. Again, various uses have been proposed for such a thing, and there's already a thread on the various strategies of how to store it.

Actually, I kinda like this enhancement request. It sounds like it'd be simple to implement, though it would require the use of metadata. Even Visual Studio doesn't do this ... I sometimes find myself marking "interesting" lines with breakpoints (in Visual Studio), just so that they will still be there next time I open the file!
mpniel

Post by mpniel »

Agreed.
BTW, in my opinion, the mentioned fact that "even Visual Studio doesn't do this" , should not disencourage us to implement our ideas.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

I just did the following:

open a workspace with some files in it.
Set a few bookmarks.
Closed Textpad.
Reopened Textpad.
Reopened the workspace
And the bookmarks were still there

So bookmarks ARE safed already.
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

Wow! Just tried that myself. MudGuard is correct. It's amazing how many amazing extra features this innocent looking editor already has under its hood. Thanks for pointing that out MudGuard.

To get it to work, you have to save a workspace (which is where the metadata goes, obviously...). To reload, opening the file alone is not sufficient - you have to re-open the workspace.

Well, mpneil, I'll bet you never expected this one to be done QUITE that quickly....? :)
mpniel

Post by mpniel »

I am sorry but it is not what i asked.
If i close the file and reopen it , then all my defined bookmarks are not there any more, even the current workspace is allways open and active.
So if this metadata is saved in the workspace, it is a pity not to use it again when reopening the file. Or may be it is not keeped in the workspace so where it is keept it should be reused to reopen all the saved bookmarks. :wink:
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

It is kept in the workspace. But only as long as the file belongs to the workspace.
If you close the file, it is no longer part of the workspace, therefore the information about bookmarks is removed from the workspace...
mpniel

Post by mpniel »

If so, then a new definition is needed for preferences window:
whether a file will be implicitly removed from workspace upon close of the file(current behaviour), or only a new explicit "remove from workspace" function will remove a file from the workspace.
sos

Post by sos »

This is just what I am looking to do. Is there some way to mark text and save it so the marks stay for later use? Please use simple terms as I don't know how to write macros and such. Any help would really be appreciated.
sos

Post by sos »

Checking back to see if anyone has an answer on this yet. Is it possible at all to retain bookmarks after closing textpad or not?
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

MudGuard's solution is the method that most of us use, I believe.

1. Open your files.
2. Save them as a workspace.
3. Edit, make bookmarks, as desired.
4. Do File/Workspace/Save will keep those open files, in current status.
5. If want to change contents of which files are in workspace, then use /Workspace/SaveAs...

If you open file outside of workspace, bookmarks will be lost. You must open the workspace which will open the file with the bookmarks.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob