Useful
76%
Not Useful
24%

Total votes: 17

rg20

Function Finder

Post by rg20 »

It would be nice to right click on a function or sub and have an option to open the file which contains that function. This could be limited to the include files on a file you are editing or the current virtual web directory.

Roger
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

What am I missing here?? Where would you find that function/sub in the first place so that you can right clik on it ?? :?
rg20

Post by rg20 »

for example

for i = 1 to 10
getItemInformation(itemID)
next

I want to highlight getItemInformation and click on find function. that page would then open and show me the function.
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Well if we can ever achieve this would be a winna... that would mean TP will now be able to recognize functions/subs and I would be well on my way to having a function/sub routine list (before editable macros of course :D)
rg20

Post by rg20 »

I was imagining that TP would search all the included files for the highlighted word that had 'function' or 'sub' infront of it, then open that file to the line where the world was contained.

Sort of mixing the find in file but limiting it to specific files.
then the 'F4' feature in Search Results of find in file to open the file.
csalsa

Post by csalsa »

This sort of functionality of locating functions was part of the Visual C++ 6. May be you should investigate how it works as it does have overheads. First, every build finishes, if activated, with a 'compiling browse information'. It creates a large browse file that is used to cross reference methods.

The poll below is not what you are asking for, but is related.
Method List for Current File
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

the BIG problem I see is that finding function definitions involves a parser for the programming languages.

Tools like e.g. Visual Studio come with parsers for programming languages as the parsers are necessary for compiling anyway. Visual Studio (or any other IDE) only supports this functionality for the few languages it supports.

Textpad is a general purpose text editor which is (as you can see with the long list of syntax files available) used for very many programming languages, not only leading to numerous ways how to define a function but also with numerours ways how these function definitions are "imported" into the current file, also involving many ways of defining where the files to be "imported"/"included" can be...

Adding parsers for all these languages for which Textpad is used would bloat Textpad far too much!
Frank Fesevur

Post by Frank Fesevur »

I wrote an add-on that does all of this (and more):

http://findtag.sourceforge.net

Regards,
Frank
kaimiddleton

Post by kaimiddleton »

I agree with MudGuard .. this seems like bloat. But if the other guy put up a solution on sourceforge to be downloaded separately .. great!