Change color of "highlight line with cursor"

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

insomniac

Change color of "highlight line with cursor"

Post by insomniac »

Is there a way or is it possible to add a feature that lets you "tune" the color that highlights the line with the cursor? I love the ability to have the line highlighted, but for quick visual acquisition, it's just not dark enough or somewhat not the right color.
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

On the meunu..
Configure /preferences /

Click your document class or choose default to have the setting applied to all documents. (you may have to expand document classes to see the list)

Click colors /follow ure nose from there on.. should be eze...

If ure choosing a document class you might also want to associate a syntax file if ure programming , html etc.

If you run into a brick wall, come back and holla, but make an effort fist.

webM
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Note before starting:

I have found that some Preferences are not always saved if a document is open. So as a matter of practice, I always close all documents before making changes to Preferences. And when done, I close TextPad and then reopen it. These extra steps may not always be necessary but it has helped me from being surprised.
====================================
To fine tune the colors for the current line:

From the Main Menu, select Configure, Preferences.
Left click on the arrow for Document Classes.

For each class do the following:
Left click on the plus sign next to the Class
Left click on Colors
Left click on Current Line on the right side (between Comments2 and Keywords1...default makes it hard to read).
Left click on the Foreground/Backgound arrow to get a drop down list.
Left click on Custom at the bottom of the mini window.
Record the Default RGB values that exist now (If you change the default values, you may want to restore them later):
Example: Foreground default values are: 255,255,0.
Background default values are: 255,251,240.

Here is where you can "fine tune" your colors.
You can do this by changing the numbers, using the scroll bar above that.
You will see the resulting color in the "Solid Color" box to the left of the numbers.

The Foreground actually controls the dashes at the top and bottom of the current line. The "Current Line" Foreground does NOT control the text on the line.
The Backgound controls the basic line color that is the center of the line.

After making the selections you want, click on OK. NOTE: If you pick the same Background and Foreground, when you click OK, you will not see any changes. If you want them both the same color (to hide the dashes), change one of the RGB values by an increase/decrease of 1.

You will now see an example in the Sample window, and in the Item window where "Current line" is highlighted.

When this is acceptable, left click on Apply, left click on OK.
Repeat steps above for each Class that you want to change
==================================
Activating the coloring of the current line is controlled globally, not at the class level:

From the Main Menu, select Configure, Preferences.
Left click on View.
On the right side, toggle the checkmark next to "Highlight the line containing the cursor." This will allow you disable highlighting without having to change the colors you prefer.
Left click on Apply, left click on OK.

Now close TextPad, and reopen it.
=============================
These steps were using 4.7.1.

Hope this was helpful.................good luck,
Bob
Last edited by Bob Hansen on Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
insomniac

Post by insomniac »

Thanks, somehow I'd missed that in the preferences before...
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Bob's post is very well done,... maybe move /copy it to the How To section.

What was I thinking up there?
I am a perly programmer...
Therein lies my(cryptic) faults....

webM
Dcantor

Could the highlight be made available per document class?

Post by Dcantor »

The color of the highlighting is configurable for each document class, and even for each document. Could it be arranged that the checkbox for whether to highlight the current line be moved from Preferences > View to
Preferences > Document Classes and be available individually for each class
(and perhaps for each document)?
Dave C.
Groton, CT
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

That can be done now without any changes to the TextPAd program.

You can "turn it off" for each class by changing the default Foreground and Background colors for the "Current line" to match the same color as the "Window background" colors.

That would do that same thing as removing the checkmark for "Highlight the line containing the cursor." if that box was added to each class.

You could always make a macro with a hot key to toggle it on/off.
==============================

Yes, just clicking a box is slightly easier, but why not put development effort into things that can't be done now?

Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
Dcantor

Post by Dcantor »

Well yes, setting the highlight color to the window background color and setting the color of the dashed lines to something real close to that will work, but it's apparently not possible to make a macro to do set those colors that, nor to turn the preference checkbox on and off. Configure > Preferences is greyed-out when macro recording is turned on.

The way I work, I normally don't have the current line highlighted, but occasionally I'd like to enable it, and there are a few documents I'd like to enable it for permanently.

So I repeat my request, but I do realize that there are more important features.
Dave C.
Groton, CT
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

The most suitable place (IMO) for the highlighter master control is button on the tool bar.

I remember a few miles back in some other thread, I did mention something like "why did they bury it 4 steps down in the preferences" and also advocated that it should be assigned to a button on the tool bar for quick on/off.

Like you Dave, I dont always want it on and need a quick way to enable /disable.

webM
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Learning something new every day! I never noticed that preferences was disabled when macro recorder was on! :o (Will have to do use Macro Scheduler again to solve another obstacle) :( .

:idea: Again, I would prioritize other tools like a better built in macro tool over an easier way to enable/sidable the coloring of the current line.

But that is what helps products get developed, we all have different needs and priorities, need to voice them, and let the development team take on the impossible task of making all of us happy. Ond once they have done that, we will just ask for more, and will all want different variations again. :arrow:

TextPad is a great product with a great team, and also a great forum group! Everyone, keep up the good work:!:
Last edited by Bob Hansen on Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
meermanr

Post by meermanr »

I have a request which is almost the same as that been asked for here:

I'd like the "default" color to be slightly amended.

I change my Windows color-scheme 2-3 times a day: When in a dark room ( sometimes running a projector in a cinema-type setup ) I have white-on-black and in well-lit rooms I use the Windows default color-scheme.

The problem I have is the background color for "highlight current line": it's not the same as the system default; it's always white!
The "text" coloring works great - choosing default for text works peachy - it matches my system colours at all times..

This ought to be easy to change in the next build.. (I'd hope!) And I would find it very very useful! Then I could continue to swap between white-on-black and black-on-white without a blinding white strip in textpad remaining!
Garve

Post by Garve »

With Word Wrap turned on, the current line highlight facility only highlights the portion of the entire line which is 'on that row' - I would like it to highlight the full actual line, which might wrap a number of times.

Is this possible?