TextPad 4.7.1 beta release

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MindSports

Post by MindSports »

I'm quite happy with the current line highlight.

In the quest for perfection I just like to report one teeny weeny 'problem':
when one drags upwards to select something spanning multiple lines, the highlight background doesn't extend to the right. The highlight foreground (i.e. the dashes) does.

It's no issue when dragging downwards, or when in block select mode in either direction.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

one teeny weeny 'problem'
Thanks for reporting that. It will be fixed before final release.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
baest

Multimedia keyboard commands

Post by baest »

Hi, I had problems with the Multimedia keyboard commands. My topic http://textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4230 was quickly replied from Helios with the answer that
We'll provide a method to turn off this feature, in the next maintenance release.
I don't know if you're able to turn off the Multimedia Keyboard commands in this version (4.7.1) and if yes how, but now Textpad doesn't catch the commands not directed to it so I'm very happy without that!!!
davenet

Post by davenet »

I just downloaded 4.7, installed it and got the error 'The configuration registry could not be written.' The key referenced is '\CurrentUser\Software\Helio\TextPad 4\Document Classes\'.

So I downloaded this beta, tried to run it, and got the same problem.

David
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The configuration registry could not be written
Normal operating system security permits writing to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, as it only contains stuff pertaining to the logged-in user. Sounds like your system has been tied down too tight.

Keith MacDonald
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Since it's so quiet here I'll report this "minor" issue :shock:
I'm using the TP stub command (txplink4.zip) to replace Notepad
under WinXP sp1.
Replaced 470 exe with 471b1 and the Notepad replacement
does not work, same goes for right-clicking on a file and
selecting TP.
Erland Sommarskog

Re: TextPad 4.7.1 beta release

Post by Erland Sommarskog »

2. Associated files could not be opened by double clicking them.

Ah, this works like charm now! Great work!
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm
briankiser

Line Highlighting -- PERFECT!

Post by briankiser »

This is perfect for me. What am I missing that people are unhappy about? You can turn it off, you can have it all one color (like mine), or you can have the dashes. It's completely selectable, from what I can tell.

Good job, guys.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

We are just about ready to release TextPad 4.7.1, so would appreciate it if any of you beta testers would check that it installs OK. The only catch is that MSI doesn't seem clever enough to replace a file with one with a newer date, so you'll need to delete the beta textpad.exe and reinstate the 4.7.0 version first. That said, the setups are available from here:

[Edit]
Deleted the download links, because 4.7.1 has been released.
[/Edit]

The final list of changes is:

Code: Select all

Enhancements in 4.7.1
---------------------
- The background color of the current line can now be specified.
- Text can be inserted at the cursor position using the DDE Insert command.

Fixes in 4.7.1
--------------
- Files on read-only file systems, with invalid last-accessed dates, could not be opened.
- In certain circumstances, associated files could not be opened by double clicking them.
- Default document class settings were not propagated.
- When the cursor was moved from off-screen to on-screen, in word wrap mode, active line highlighting was not updated.
- Registry entries containing commands to launch TextPad are now quoted, if the path contains any spaces.
- Multimedia keyboard commands which TextPad did not handle should have been passed on.
- A bug in XP causes search strings of more than 1023 characters to be corrupted in the recently used lists on the Find/Replace dialog boxes.  To work around this problem, the maximum length of search string has been reduced from 2047 to 1023 on XP.
- Undo was disabled for text inserted with the DDE Append command.
- On Windows 2000, when document windows were overlapping, and Ctrl+Tab was used to switch to the next document, part of the window border was not repainted.
- If a macro opened a file, when there was an initial blank document, TextPad crashed.
- Ctrl+Shift+Down did not select an unterminated last line.
- The tab control does not calculate its size correctly, for filenames containing '&', so they are now displayed as '%'.
- Variable width DBCS characters were not repainted correctly, during horizontal scroll right.
- Synchronized scrolling got out of sync, when a mixture of text and binary documents was open.
- The setup (MSI) file always started TextPad on completion, even for silent installs.
Please let us know of any new problems ASAP, otherwise this will be the official release.

Keith MacDonald
Last edited by bbadmin on Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
briankiser

One minor glitch...

Post by briankiser »

The last page of my install, where the text says, "The InstallShield Wizard has successfully installed... <blah blah blah>" has a textbox on the screen with no text. It probably says something like, "Click here to open the readme.txt", but I can't see it so I don't know for sure.

Otherwise, seems to be fine.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

[edited]

That checkbox should be labelled "Launch the program". I see it's not very consistent about displaying it, so we'll fix that.

Thanks,
Keith MacDonald
Last edited by bbadmin on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Same happens here - win98SE upgrade from 470
see screenshot

The earlier problem with the tab/space that jeffy reported still persists... not an issue for me

The hilite issue that MindSports reported is fixed
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Fixed the missing checkbox text, and uploaded all the setups again, to the same location.

Keith MacDonald
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

perfect.. text is there now
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Notepad replacement work's like a charm now 8)