Treeview in the document selector

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

TayMor2K3

Treeview in the document selector

Post by TayMor2K3 »

Is there any chance there could be a treeview type interface in document selector that allowed the user to organise (group) the files in a way that didn't necessarily represent the underling file system.
trids

Post by trids »

I like this idea .. and would vote for it if you posted a poll :wink:
ebdalqui

Post by ebdalqui »

I'd like to bump this up!

When working on large java packages with a complex directory structure a treeview in the document selector would sure make life easier.
barryhunter

Post by barryhunter »

I think this would be worthwile, because i often work with files in long directory names, therefore full path is useful. But then cant see the filename (cos too long). But if turn off full path then dont know which index.html (for example) i am editing.
Therefore a treeview would be a useful way round this, the other would be to remove the center of the path rather than the end, or right align the doucment selector.

As a futher point would be useful if it had option to match the layout on disk (explorer style) OR a user assisgned tree. Good comprimise would be to start with disk layout but the user could jsut move them arround (with OR without moving them on disk)

Phew, that would make it complicated so maybe somone can come up with a similer solution
verelse

YES!

Post by verelse »

The treeview could represent a true workspace. I am certain that the actual TWS file could be an xml document representing a hierchical structure of logical folders.
If the TWS/XML file were created properly, a file could exist in multiple folders.

Code: Select all

<textpad:workspace name="Workspace Name Here" version="tp version here" path="d:\sites\somesite\workspace.twx" workdir="d:\sites\somesite">
    <textpad:filelist>
        <textpad:file pathrelative=".\somefile.cs" syntax="syntaxfilehereifmanuallyset" otherattributessuchasmanuallysettabs="something" workspacefileid="1"/>
    </textpad:filelist>
    <textpad:folder name="New Folder 1" icon="icon">
        <textpad:folderfile workspacefileid="1"/>
    </textpad:folder>
</textpad:workspace>
Yikes! This format even allows setting an icon for your project folders.
I would PAY for this enhancement...so I can completely get that bloated visual studio off my machine and focus on the code.
bodiam

Post by bodiam »

Hello,

I saw a new version was out2 days ago, version 4.7, and I was so hoping it would have a treeview, and that you could specify the root of your project (so, not seeing c:\private\projects\games\baseball\src, but instead setting the root of the project so that you would only see baseball\src for example).

Unfortunately, it's (still) not in in, but I there's a vote button here somewhere, I'd sure vote for the Treeview option. Like ebdalqui says, it can make working with a language like Java (when you have lot of files/packages) so much easier!

Greetings, Erik[/b]
kcirrem

Post by kcirrem »

just adding my weight to the "replies" column. Perhaps by the sheer force of replies, we can generate our own poll, with each reply signifying a vehement "Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades" response. or maybe not.
i enjoy this capability so much that sometimes i open the Dreamweaver "Site Files" and define a bogus site mapped to the local directory of my choice just for this, consequently suffering from the excessive window-age of sdi's for everything i open. which would be fine if i didn't open "everything" in textpad. sometimes i even open jpeg's in textpad and edit it by hex, which is challenging due to the lossy compression and everything (i have to selectively skip some hex nums such as 'B' or 'F'), but it's faster than opening the behemoth Photoshop just to apply the "Gaussian Blur" filter. or maybe not.
ebdalqui

Post by ebdalqui »

Just wanted to bump this up ... as said, the feature of setting a project root to minimize the path names in the tree view would be handy as well.
ContractedHack

Only real fault I can see

Post by ContractedHack »

The lacking document treeview is the only real fault I can see in TextPad. I'm having a hard time understanding why this wasn't coded in the beginning. Seems odd to me.
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

Because of the high interest in this suggestion, I have created a new thread for it, with a poll. Please vote for it, and continue your conversation there.

:' )

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4216
Nandagopal

TreeView for Document Selection

Post by Nandagopal »

I would definitely vote for the TreeView for Document Selection, which is a missing feature since long time.
- Gopal
frankiboy01

Re: YES!

Post by frankiboy01 »

Hi everybody,

verelse made a SUPER suggestion:
verelse wrote:The treeview could represent a true workspace. I am certain that the actual TWS file could be an xml document representing a hierchical structure of logical folders.
If the TWS/XML file were created properly, a file could exist in multiple folders.
Yikes! This format even allows setting an icon for your project folders.
I would PAY for this enhancement...so I can completely get that bloated visual studio off my machine and focus on the code.
I think this would be a milestone in development of workspaces. By using XML as storage format all ideas (starting with relative paths up to individual icons and treeview) could be fulfilled. Even for future enhancements this format provides the possibility to add them easily and this format could be manually changed/updated (if needed).

I hope this posting encouraged the TextPad programmers to think about this feature as TextPad is my favourite text editor I never want to miss!

Frank.