Multiple Document Splitters

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How helpful would extra splitters or multiple windows onto a document be?

Extremely Useful
42%
Somewhat Useful
17%
Not Sure
33%
Somewhat Useless
8%
Extremely Useless
No votes

Total votes: 12

SanctimoniousApe

Multiple Document Splitters

Post by SanctimoniousApe »

I frequently need to look at several sections of code simultaneously for reference and comparison purposes. While I know I can use bookmarks and the two halves the existing splitter gives, it's just such a PITA to deal with when all I need is just one or two more splits. :(

So, I'd like to suggest allowing several splits on each axis (primarily the vertical axis if one must be more important). Having them be independantly scrollable in both directions would be nice as well.

The other alternative to this would be to allow multiple windows onto the same document. The extra title bar would be slightly less efficient on screen space, but perhaps this'd be easier to implement?
Tyriel

Post by Tyriel »

this is the most important feature suggestion i've seen yet.

The Split feature is one of Textpad's best selling points - i've only ever seen one other tool that did splitting, and i've been in the industry for a LONG time. Being able to split to more than two views in a particular dimension (horizontal or vertical) would be a huge improvement.

It would also be nice if we could disable the default behavior of vertical splits (vertical position is locked between two adjacent split windows, but the horizontal positions can be adjusted), and instead use a window split four ways with no inter-window locking. Basically, use the 4-window split mode as 4 entirely independent views on the same file.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
-Steve Estes (Tyriel)
AIM: EnderW271
Email: destes[at]ix.netcom.com