Enhancement - Saving search results

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jsytniak

Enhancement - Saving search results

Post by jsytniak »

Suggest adding a feature that allows for saving the search results so that they can be re-used - with hyperjump functionality upon re-opening of the saved search.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

You can already do it (so not too easiy):

Add a tool (only necessary once):
dos command, "type" as command with current file as parameter.
Set Regex so it matches the search output.

Ok, do your search.
After searching, copy the search results into a new file and save it.

When you want to reuse your saved search:
Open the file.
Use the type tool.
go to Command result window, from there you can jump to the results...
jsytniak

Sure enough - but there is a caveat

Post by jsytniak »

Sure enough it works. I tried this after seeing a note about it in the help file and it did not work. I thought I must have done something wrong. After trying the same thing I noticed that the file names were not fully qualified in the search results. The hyper jump was failing because the file I was seaching was not in the same directory as the saved search results file. After fully qualifying all of the file names, the hyperjump worked like a charm.

The search results appear to specify the file specification based upon the current directory at the time the search operation is executed. This can result in partially qualified file specifications. When saving a search done though a directory structure, the level of detail will certainly vary and the process of fully qualifying th file names can some time not be trivial. Perhaps enhancing the search results would make things easier by making the search results display the fully qualified file names (perhaps optionally).

Thanks